Deliciously Gluten-Free Asian Pot Stickers

Gluten free pot stickers

Dumpling, pot sticker, gyoza, jiaozi, dim sum…..

Truthfully, I’m not really sure how to differentiate between these wonderful little packages of bliss.

I would love to waltz into a dim sum restaurant and cozy up to a server to get the lowdown, but due to my gluten allergy, I can’t.

So while I can’t really educate you on all things dumpling, I can offer you a gluten free recipe that tastes yummy, even if it is something of a crossbred mutt.

We will call it……dumpstickgoyadim for now.

I did find some gluten free dumpling recipes online, but to be honest, I didn’t care for them. The dough ended up cracking and turning into something of a mini pie crust, rather than a tender, chewy little dumpling. (This might also have to do with the fact that I didn’t keep my dough moist…)

So I found a different dough recipe that wasn’t actually classified as a gluten free recipe, but because it only contained rice flour and tapioca flour it WAS gluten free, and after having made it….I decided it was the best way to go for me.

Asian pot sticker recipe

Makes 24-28 dumplings (depending on size)

Gluten free pot sticker ingredients

Dough

(thanks to Andrea Nguyen for her brilliant rice dough recipe)
1 cup white rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour (also known as tapioca starch)
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp oil
2/3 cup boiled water (adjust if necessary)

Filling

Fresh ground pepper

Dipping Sauce

2 Tbsp GF soy sauce
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 Tbsp rice vinegar
¼ tsp sesame oil
Few drops sriracha (optional)

Other tools:
Ziplock bag
Tortilla press-optional
Dumpling press-optional

Start by peeling and deveining your shrimp. Chop them, along with your mushrooms and green onion. Grate your ginger finely and then mince your garlic. Add everything into a bowl then add your soy sauce, ground pork, sesame oil, salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Mix all ingredients and place in fridge.

Finely chop all the filling ingredients and mix by hand

Next, start your dough by adding your rice flour, tapioca flour and salt into bowl. Pour in your oil. Add in your just-boiled water and start to mix with a chopstick. After water cools down a bit, start to knead the dough until it has a play-dough consistency.

mix your pot sticker dough

Now your dough is ready to be divided. Roll it out into a foot long rope (lightly dust the counter with rice flour) and cut in half. Place half your dough directly into a ziplock bag to keep moist. With the remaining dough, cut into 12 pieces. Place the pieces into the bag except a few that you are working with to keep everything moist. Repeat with remaining dough.

Divide your dough into 24 pieces

Now you are ready to start pressing your dough into the dumpling wrappers. This can be done quickly and easily with a tortilla press.

Cut a ziplock bag in half. Open your tortilla press and place half of the ziplock bag on the base. Lightly dust this with rice flour. Add one of your dough discs and cover with the other half of the ziplock bag. Close your tortilla press. When you open it, handle your wrapper carefully, as it is very delicate.

Press out your dumpling wrapper

Now you are ready to fill the wrapper with your meat. This is done very easily with a dumpling press.

Place the wrapper in your hand, and fill with a small ball of filling. Around 1/2-1 tsp. Place your wrapper in a dumpling press and gently press closed. Easy!

Filling your wrapper

–if you don’t have a tortilla press

you can press it out by hand the old-fashioned way. Take one of your dough discs and flatten it by hand. Cut a ziplock bag in half. Lightly flour half of the zipock bag and place your flattened dough disc on it. Cover with the other half of the ziplock bag and roll out with a rolling-pin. Gently take your wrapper and place your filling in it. Lightly wet the edge of the wrapper and close in half. Pinch shut, and work your way around the rest of the dumpling to close.

Press out your dumpling by hand

Place your pot stickers on a clean surface as you are preparing them.

POT STICKERS!

Once you have filled your wrappers, you are ready to cook. Heat your oil in a large saucepan. Add in your pot stickers. Let them brown for a few minutes. Add in 1/4 cup of water and cover with tight-fitting lid. Let the pot stickers steam for 6-8 minutes. You may have to cook them in two batches.

Browning the bottom

Once your pot stickers are done, then you can plate them. Mix your dipping sauce and enjoy!

Pot Stickers!

Yummy!

There are some other amazing dumpling recipes online with some pretty awesome instructional photos…so here are some blogs to visit when you get the hankerin….

1. userealbutter-Chinese dumplings and pot stickers
  2. lafujimama-steamy shrimp pork dumplings
  3. asiandumplingtips

Happy dumpling eating!!!

29 comments on “Deliciously Gluten-Free Asian Pot Stickers

1. Elizabeth says:

These look so delicious. I really like the photography on your blog. The step by step with pics is great! Thanks for sharing!! :)

2. These were absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!! I have looked at your other recipes and am soo excited to try them out these are easy and delicious thank you soo much!!!!!!!!

3. Gluten-free Asian dumplings were on my bucket list of things to make. I used a combination of your recipe and the one from Laura B. Russell for the dough. The result was amazing. Thank you for the great pics. Who would have thought to use a tortilla press?! Perfect tip. I made my own filling (ground chicken, sesame oil, scallions, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper) which my kids loved. The only problem was that I think I ate 6! I had extra filling and made mini meatballs. Thank you again!

4. amythefamilychef says:

This was such a hit in our house! Gluten-free Asian dumplings were on my bucket list of things to make. I used a combination of your recipe and the one from Laura B. Russell for the dough. The result was amazing. Thank you for the great pics. Who would have thought to use a tortilla press?! Perfect tip. I made my own filling (ground chicken, sesame oil, scallions, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper) which my kids loved. The only problem was that I think I ate 6! I had extra filling and made mini meatballs. Thank you again!

5. [...] I would post this recipe so I’d better get on with it. I would highly suggest looking at the photos taken by Crysty of Garden of Gluten-Free. That was my starting [...]

6. sarah says:

these are delicious! finally a recipe that doesn’t require so many ingredients and is really flavorful.

7. eclecticlynn says:

These were very good — the filling was excellent — it’s ok to use a bit more fresh ginger and it really shines through stronger

8. Elaine says:

Do you brown them on both sides before steaming? I couldn’t figure it out and looked up another recipe which browned on one side, steamed, added more oil, and flipped over. I should have taken them out and let the second oil heat up for better results. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Kait Nolan says:

Oh dear God, I shall have to KISS YOUR FEET! I tried my first gluten free dumplings last night (a recipe from one of the GF cookbooks I have acquired and was NOT happy at all. It was backbreaking, the dough didn’t want to roll, and the recipe called for SIX EGGS. EEK. Your using of the tortilla press is GENIUS (and I HAVE ONE!) and I might just have to go do the running man because I did not know of the existence of dumpling presses! Have just ordered one! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

10. [...] them (I don’t want to know what that’d cost at the store!). I adapted the recipe from @gardenofglutenfree.com. The dough recipe worked great I thought, but I changed the filling for my tastes. I’ll post [...]

11. gassengirl says:

Thanks for the recipe, I tried these the other day, they worked great! I changed up the filling, but the dough worked great!

12. Robin says:

I made these just now and I LOVE them! My son, age 8 who is very picky, ate 6 or 7! Thank you, thank you. Have you ever frozen them? I was wondering if you would freeze them before cooking, thaw and then cook?

13. Lydia says:

Could the recipe for the dough be used for egg rolls as well? I’ve always assumed the core recipe for wrappers was essentially the same but methods of cooking changed how the end result turned out. My partner is gluten intolerant and she’s been missing Asian inspired food. For our anniversary I want to make her a big home cooked GF Asian inspired meal. :)

14. Laurena Washler says:

Gluten gives elasticity to dough helping it to rise and to keep its shape. It is found in many staple foods in the Western diet. It is a protein composite found in wheat and other grains, including barley and rye and processed foods thereof. Gluten is composed of a gliadin fraction (alcohol soluble) and a glutenin fraction (only soluble in dilute acids or alkali).*

See the latest post on our new online site
    <.http://www.healthmedicinecentral.com/menstrual-cycle-symptoms/

15. Maria says:

I used your pot sticker wrapper recipe! I posted about it here… http://www.stovetopsoliloquy.com/2013/06/potstickers-from-scratch.html

16. It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before end I am reading this great piece of writing to improve my know-how.

17. You actually make it seem really easy together with
    your presentation but I in finding this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely extensive for me.
    I am looking forward to your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hang of it!

• Scrummy Ice Cream, 2 bits of advice. If making dumplings is too hard (and it is), just make the filling. That’s pretty scrumptious. Secondly, if you haven’t worked with this type of dough before, there might be a bit of a learning curve. Did they fall apart? Probably not enough water. Did they stick? Try cornstarch to help hold them together. If you are new to making this dish, give yourself another chance. It’s worth it! Or just make little meatballs; those are good too.

18. JMirrielees says:

Can the potstickers be assembled ahead of time and fried/steamed later?

19. Mandy says:

Holy crap. These are soooooooo good!!!!
    Maybe other ppl have already mentioned, but I kept a bowl of water to dip my hands in when I was pressing into flat discs. Also, I would make about 1/2 more of dough. My discs tended to be a bit small, but totally made it work.
    Thank you!! This was a hit with husband and 10 yo son.

20. Evie says:

would this work if boiled? or would they fall apart? thank you.

21. Rgaugler says:

These quickly became a favorite in my house. The filling is amazing (and, I admit I was skeptical about shrimp and pork together)! And, yes, the meatballs are delish too! Super easy with the tools you suggest. To those that had them fall apart, I think it happens when they get over-filled. They can only handle a very small amount of filling (1tsp very max). Thank you!

22. Dana Lisette Giellerup Hein says:

Thank you so much for this! My 11 year old just was diagnosed with celiac, and her favorite dinner is potstickers. I really look forward to trying this recipe very soon!